[olug] OT: Networking for Home Office

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:30:39 CST 2021

ndjstn, please provide a link or writeup some more details of what that
setup provides.  Not familiar with the makeup.   He needs fiber to go
outside to the shed.  A lawn sprinkler installer should not be too much.

Scott, whats up with the no PoE requirement.

Have you looked into buying used enterprise network switches off of eBay
<https://www.ebay.com/b/Enterprise-Networking-Servers/175698/bn_1309143>?
I do NOT know switch hardware at all, but two quick searches on eBay found
switches that _could_ be Fully Managed and even capable of 10Gbe and
possibly PoE.  I do not want to ever manage a switch without an SSH
interface and hopefully an API.   Look at this $40 Aruba below, analyze the
seller reputation, scrutinize the pictures, and look at the datasheets.
Never had an Aruba, but have only heard good things.  Managing switches
from a dumb web interface is tedious and tiresome.

$39.95  Aruba S3500-24T Mobility Access Switch S3500-24T
<https://www.ebay.com/c/7012039802?iid=392286978940>  S3500-24T:
24x10/100/1000BASE-T RJ-45 and uplink module slot, so NO PoE.   Warning:
The Description says "NEW" but the dateOfManufacturer code is from 2011.
https://www.ebay.com/c/7012039802?iid=392286978940

$91.00
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S3500-24P-24-Port-Gigabit-Network-Switch-with-PoE-and-4x10GB-Module/154279508081?hash=item23ebc67871:g:5eoAAOSwne1f3mVE>Aruba
S3500-24P 24-Port Gigabit Network Switch with PoE and 4x10GB Module
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S3500-24P-24-Port-Gigabit-Network-Switch-with-PoE-and-4x10GB-Module/154279508081?hash=item23ebc67871:g:5eoAAOSwne1f3mVE>
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S3500-24P-24-Port-Gigabit-Network-Switch-with-PoE-and-4x10GB-Module/154279508081?hash=item23ebc67871:g:5eoAAOSwne1f3mVE>
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aruba-S3500-24P-24-Port-Gigabit-Network-Switch-with-PoE-and-4x10GB-Module/154279508081?hash=item23ebc67871:g:5eoAAOSwne1f3mVE

$299.95 FS S3800-24F4S 24-Port Stackable Managed Gigabit SFP Switch 4x 10GE
SFP+ Uplinks
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/FS-S3800-24F4S-24-Port-Stackable-Managed-Gigabit-SFP-Switch-4x-10GE-SFP-Uplinks/284015416046?hash=item4220a352ee:g:D3MAAOSwiRNfY-UI>