[olug] OT: Networking for Home Office

Scott Jensen fkadriver at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:01:13 CST 2021

Thanks all for the input. I had started to look a Ubiquiti stuff, but it is
a little more than I need or want spend. @Obiwan that makes me sad that
they would almost brick a product after just 5 years.

@ndjstn. The ORBI I have is one of there earlier versions with only WiFi 4
a/b/g/n. And I agree that the requirement of a phone to manage Circle and
ORBI ports is a pain.  Give me a cod line and scripting any day.

As far security goes, pFsense is on the horizon just haven’t had the time.
Looking to use the Vlans and some basic routing to get noisy (mosey)
devices seperated from the critical devices. I have been using Pihole to
filter most of the DNS traffic (Samsung TV hate it)

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 16:36 Ben Hollingsworth <obiwan at jedi.com> wrote:

> I used to be a big fan of Ubiquiti, until I learned recently that my
> 5-yr-old Unifi AP will be end-of-lifed next month.  I'm fine with
> discontinuing support, but in this case, they're taking away my ability
> to even modify the configuration on this AP.  It will forevermore be on
> autopilot. What kind of manufacturer works on that kind of timetable?  I
> have 15-yr-old consumer-grade APs lying around that I can still press
> into service if I need to.  I'll probably never buy another Ubiquity
> product just due to that factor alone.
>
> On 1/12/21 4:18 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
> > Since you mentioned Ubiquiti Networks...  I saw this on HackerNews
> > yesterday:
> >
> > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25735032
> >
> > Main link:
> > https://mailchi.mp/ubnt/account-notification
> >
> > A lot of people were noting the "MailChmp" domain they used, and all
> > internal links are mail tracking enabled, even the change password
> links...
> > :(
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 4:12 PM Craig Wolf <wolfout101 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I will second the Ubiquiti equipment for networking! It is really nice
> for
> >> the price.  Netgear for the switching will treat you well also!!
> >>

> --
> *Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth* obiwan at jedi.com <mailto:obiwan at jedi.com>
> www.Jedi.com <http://www.jedi.com>
> The stuff of earth competes for the allegiance I owe only to the
> Giver of all good things, so if I stand, let me stand on the
> promise that You will pull me through. /-- Rich Mullins/

Scott Jensen