[olug] Home VOIP

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue May 29 18:01:45 CDT 2018

FlowRoute does look cool but there I didn't find a lot on what I can
configure.  I also feel that I would be a very small fish in a pretty big
ocean.
I'm talking < 30 minutes/month out and < 100 minutes/month in.

I should have been a little bit more expressive about what I want to do.
The box I have is an Obi200.  I'm looking to replace my landline, port my
number (yep, checked, it's portable.)
minimal usage, we've had it for a long time and I haven't weened all to my
cell number.

I want to be able to ensure good uptime/quality so I can hook my alarm
system to it.
I want it easy to lock down so I don't end up paying for others to "call
home".  In fact - no INTL dialing at all.  I would be happy to lock it down
to continental service.
Do E911.
If possible, 86 as many spam calls as possible.
Keep the cost as low as possible.

On the obi forums there is lots of good mojo for CallCentric.
1.95/month Domestic 500 out with E911 and pay-per-minute inbound 1.95/month
in with 0.015/min and it looks like only taxes if I have a NY address.
They've got a 5.95/month unlimited in but I'd have to do more than 266
minutes in before that made sense.  That sounds like 1.95+1.95+1.50 =
3.40/month (1.50 is 100 minutes in)
They've got IVR, location locks, etc built in.

Do you think FlowRoute could do better or is FlowRoute too big for me?
Have you tried CallCentric and hated it?

Best,
Jeff

VOIP providers have a metric sh!t ton of in and out options.   Takes a
while to ferret out what you need --for a newbie, that is.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Look at all the spam call blocking one can do with NerdVittles  Pbx In A
> Flash.  So many features ready to go, including decent security options.
>
> FlowRoute and  Vitelity ITSPs have worked well for me.    Ut do not compare
> too many features when shopping for a SIP provider because even if the
> upstream provider does not implement a feature, you can probably implement
> tour own in asterisk.
>

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM Justin Reiners <justin at hotlinesinc.com>
> wrote:
>
> > We use about 300,000 minutes a month on Flowroute on our work systems,
> They
> > have been great. They cut my 8x8 trunk bill down by 40% a few years ago,
> > and I've never looked back.
> >
> > It's super cheap for a home trunk, probably less than $5-10/month for a
> > couple phone numbers. SIP is pretty cool.
> >
> > I'd highly recommend setting up a home SIP system with all the different
> > PBX and switch software.
> >

> > On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Shawn L Djernes <shawn at djernes.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I second the Flowroute recommendation. I have used them for years.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Shawn L. Djernes

> jeffh at dundeemt.com

Best,