[olug] Roku vs Boxee

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Mar 14 16:13:21 UTC 2012

I too am interested in the "download is legal" answer.  If so, scan
the document so we can all have it.

A few years ago my brother-in-law got disconnected and the BitTorrents
he was downloading (and presumably re-sharing) were the stated reason.
 Having this doc in hand would be a nice shield.

Dan

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:23, Jason N <dashrender at cox.net> wrote:
> Uploads of copywritten content would be forbidden for legal reasons..
>
> What I'm more interested in is, did you get the fact that you can download presumably anything via bit torrent in writting?
>

> ---- jman at miwire.com wrote:
>   why are the uploads forbidden?
>
>   Steve Busby <steve.busby at gmail.com> wrote ..
>
> I switched my MythTV to a MacMini running Plex last year when I cancelled cable.
>
> After several emails with Cox support, I found I can download all the
> torrents I want, as long as I don't upload any content.
>
> So I run "TVShows" to monitor when the torrents are available, it
> feeds them to "Transmission", which does the downloading (but NO
> uploading). Plex monitors the download directory and indexes several
> times a day.
>
> I have to occasionally manually delete watched shows to free up drive
> space, but doing so weekly only takes 10 minutes or so.
>
> BuzB
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Lee M. Meysenburg
>  wrote:
>> We have been using Roku boxes since they first came out and are very happy
>> with them. We also use PlayOn  with the Roku to get
>> access to the Web Only content of Hulu as well as many other channels.
>>
>> We used MythTV for years but have since switched to MediaPortal
>>  for DVR, DVD Content, etc. and are not
>> looking back. I always felt like I spent more time making things work and
>> keeping things working with MythTV then actually using it. That isn't to say
>> MediaPortal doesn't have it's occasional hiccups, but they are far and few
>> between compared to issues with MythTV.
>>
>> My two cents,
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> On 3/13/2012 9:07 AM, Shannon wrote:
>>>
>>> I just got a roku box. have and old xp box we had been using so we could
>>> watch netflix on the tv. With the computer we have been watching some
>>> shows
>>> from station websites like CW and TNT but so far I have been unable to