[olug] [OT] Video Card Recommendation

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon Nov 30 01:29:44 UTC 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 07:07:51 pm Dave Rowe wrote:
> Did NVidia release their own closed source kernel?

Their own closed source kernel patch, yes.

> How is their module a 'fork of Linux'?

"Modules" are just a Linux word for a binary patch. Linux is not a micro-
kernel, nor does it make any linking exceptions other than for userland.

> Likewise, do you have proof that they've violated the terms of  the GPL?

They are still violating the terms of the GPL by distributing a derived work
of Linux (the source code wrapper) that links with a non-compliant binary
blob.

> Microsoft had a simple downloader that violated the GPL and they
>  responded rather quickly that they'd open-source the tool, yet you're
>  going to tell me that NVidia with as much exposure as they have, they
>  haven't gotten 'caught'?  Not likely.

They've been 'caught' plenty, just not sued.