[olug] [OT] Video Card Recommendation

Dave Rowe dave at roweware.com
Mon Nov 30 02:44:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 November 2009 07:07:51 pm Dave Rowe wrote:
> > Did NVidia release their own closed source kernel?
>
> Their own closed source kernel patch, yes.

Does their closed source kernel _patch_ include GPL'd code?

> > How is their module a 'fork of Linux'?
>
> "Modules" are just a Linux word for a binary patch. Linux is not a micro-
> kernel, nor does it make any linking exceptions other than for userland.

Binary patch or not, unless the driver itself contains GPL'd code, I can't
see how this is a violation?

> > Likewise, do you have proof that they've violated the terms of  the GPL?
>
> They are still violating the terms of the GPL by distributing a derived
> work
> of Linux (the source code wrapper) that links with a non-compliant binary
> blob.

How do you figure the driver installation tool is a derived work of Linux?
Does the tool contain GPL'd code itself?  If not, they're not distributing a
derived work.

> Microsoft had a simple downloader that violated the GPL and they
> >  responded rather quickly that they'd open-source the tool, yet you're
> >  going to tell me that NVidia with as much exposure as they have, they
> >  haven't gotten 'caught'?  Not likely.
>
> They've been 'caught' plenty, just not sued.

It's not like the driver is being included in a distributed kernel.  They
provide a driver, I install it.  I have every right to install what I want.