[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:38:56 UTC 2008

Was away for a day... but back to the fray!

> > but each tab is a separate process, and each function within the tab is a
> > separate process.  It makes reclaiming memory much easier to do.
>
> It uses a lot more memory, at least in theory. And by "reclaiming memory"
> in
> this context, you must mean "ignoring memory leaks"; there is no benefit of
> having multiple processes if the code is otherwise okay.

I've recalled many times noting FF or IE eating 300-400MB of RAM.... causing
some paging on a 1GB system.  So I book marked important tabs and dropped
things down to a single tab to see if I could improve things.  And it was
still eating the same amount of RAM.  So far, I've not really had any
problems with the mutli-process setup eating an ass load of RAM :).

Granted, having gone as far as I did to close all but one tab -- I could
have simply closed the entire browser... but... it'd be nice to be able to
just kill un-needed tabs.

And yes, I'm the type of person to browse/run alot of proggies and leave
them open.  It's not uncommon for me to have 30 apps running at once, one of
those being a tabbed browser with a dozen or two tabs :).

> > The browser is also really big on sandboxing, and approaches the web with
> > sane security model.
>
> This is again only a problem with bugs. Why not fix the bugs instead of
> catching them at runtime?

Real world code much ?  And I know you're a coder :).  With huge projects,
it can be difficult to anticipate and fix all possible security or memory
problems.  While having clean running code to begin with is preferred,
sandboxing things is a great 'levee' system as an emergency backup that does
stop problems.  Not too unlike things that run in user space vs kernel
space, as well as things that demote themselves to unprivileged mode after
startup or similar.  Last note: how many people run BIND (something ancient)
within a jail ?

> > The comic also suggests you'll easily be able to check out the
> sub-processes
> > and monitor them to check for CPU and memory usage. Incredibly innovative
> > and useful there.
>
> Yes, this might be a real benefit to advanced users.

Immediately it's a geek toy.  In the future I can imagine a plugin that
offers some gauges so that the average user has something more useful to
work with.  Also note, I imagine most people on this list would classify as
'geek', so its a possibly valid argument here :).

-Will