[olug] Chrome

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:46:12 UTC 2008

> I really love KDE, and want to love Konqueror, but can't use it for
> more than 10 minutes without going up the wall.  However, I've
> witnessed the same behavior with Konqueror.  If one page is hanging on
> a network request, the UI is non-responsive.  I can't do anything.
> Other tabs stop.  The browser is one process with one thread.  BTW, I
> really hope the KDE devs consider making a dedicated browser.
> Konqueror is a super-app that stumbles because it is everything.
> They've made Okular and Dolphin, and I imagine a browser might be
> next.  Allow konqueror to be a meta-app that changes its UI more
> dynamically while pulling kparts from other apps.

I remember when KDE 2 ? or was it 3 ? that launched and included Konq.
 Lotsa friends raved.  I tried the whole KDE thing and was rather...
unimpressed.  Then again, I was more of an Afterstep fan at the time hehehe.
I... can't recall the last time I tried it since then.  I think Konq is
supposed to be similar to explorer/iexplore in Win98/etc.  The generic
does-everything-marginally-well ? I could be a bit of a bastard and try out
the whole 'Konquerer' thing supplied by this andLinux thing.. and see how
that goes.

-Will