[olug] Ubuntu losing network

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Nov 26 00:24:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Larry Walls <larry.walls at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is another tidbit of info.  Looking back at some ifconfig results I
> found this:
>
> When the box is connected and working, ifconfig reports eth0 and lo with a
> correctly assigned IP address to eth0.  When the box is not working,
> ifconfig reports no IP address assigned to eth0, continues to report lo, but
> now also reports eth0:avahi with an IP address of 169.254.7.151.  I dont
> know where or what this is coming from and obviously that IP address is no
> good on my network.

This was the first thing that came to me when I was reading your
original e-mail, because I've had some serious issues with avahi on
Ubuntu on a laptop.  It is supposed to be some sort of zeroconf
program to setup networking on small networks with no real network
config (as I understand it, I only glanced at it briefly).  All it's
ever been to me was a huge pain in the ass.

The fact that the Ethernet link seems to be dropping makes me think
your specific issue here might not be related to avahi, but I would
strongly recommend killing it entirely and seeing if that helps any.
It was taking over the default route on my box and killing network
connectivity constantly until I removed it.

--
Christopher