[olug] Ubuntu losing network

Larry Walls larry.walls at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 22:22:46 UTC 2008

First, thanks to everyone for their suggestions to my problem.  Here is an
update:

Moved to another port on the switch, same issue.
Changed the patch cable, same issue.  Although I did realize I was connected
via Cat5 at GB speed so I swapped the patch cable for Cat 6.  Still same
issue.
Booted from LiveCD and have not had the issue again.  I will let it run
overnight just to make sure but so far so good (or bad as the case may be).

Here is another tidbit of info.  Looking back at some ifconfig results I
found this:

When the box is connected and working, ifconfig reports eth0 and lo with a
correctly assigned IP address to eth0.  When the box is not working,
ifconfig reports no IP address assigned to eth0, continues to report lo, but
now also reports eth0:avahi with an IP address of 169.254.7.151.  I dont
know where or what this is coming from and obviously that IP address is no
good on my network.

The saga continues.