[olug] $10 / 2GB MP3 player for Linux

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 18:13:26 UTC 2008

Christopher Cashell wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, it doesn't look like it.  Hopefully someday this device
>> (TrekStor's i.Beat emo) will be supported.  I've got dresser drawers
>> full of OGGs that need their freedom of expression.
>
> I'm a big Ogg Vorbis aficionado myself, and that's what I use for all
> of my self-ripped music.  As such, that was the first thing I looked
> for, and where I lost interest in this device.
>
> However, I did notice that their i.Beat sonix does support Ogg.  And a
> few days ago, SanDisk released an updated firmware for their Sensa
> Clip media players that adds support for Ogg Vorbis.  Hopefully
> they'll both continue with that, and increase their Ogg support.
>
> Both of the music players that I've bought myself have been Cowan
> iAudio devices; they've been a big support of Ogg for a while, and do
> a good job with it.

I was for several years a die-hard Ogg Vorbis man, and I have the Oggs to prove it.  Everything went to Ogg... out of
principle.

Then I finally swallowed the reality pill.  MP3 has long won this battle; Ogg was simply way too late to the scene.
Virtually all portable audio devices, DVD players, car CD players, etc. support MP3.  Of the aforementioned Ogg is only
supported on *some* portable audio devices.  I don't know of any DVD players or car CD players that support Ogg.  They
may exist, but I'm sure it's a real small minority.

I wish it weren't this way, but that's the sad truth.

Eric