[olug] OT: more Hans goodness

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 03:10:08 UTC 2008

Saw this on google news and figured I'd pass it along due to the...
different content it has than the standard media stuff:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/07/09/hans_reiser/

The droning of 'treated unfair' thing.. is... interesting.  Net
bureaucracy becries this type of thing alot, no matter what the issue
at hand is or which side you're on.  Also, I had a friend in high
school with Aspenburger's Syndrome (which I believe I've seen
associated with Hans)... and... I'd say I could see him in a similar
situation with similar mindset.

I saw on /. someone attempt to bring up the 'will you still use the
fs' debate.  I can understand refusing to use technology gotten
through dubious means, or medical knowledge gained from perverse
experiments, etc.... basing things on principles like that is easily a
judgement call.  Hans designed an FS.  He didn't do anything evil to
create it.  The FS in of itself is 'innocent'.  Its completely
unrelated to the murder.  An analogy - someone discovers cure for a
dangerous disease.  A couple years later they go on a psychotic
genocide... blaming a given group of people for the disease in the
first place.  Is the cure any less valid from a moral/ethics stand
point ?  I'd say it's perfectly fine.

-Will