[olug] Cox DVR questions...

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Fri Jul 11 17:53:38 UTC 2008

The 8500 has a built-in DiVX decoder, but I can guarantee you the linux
driver doesn't support this. The media center software is also a factor: I
find the MythTV interface clunky and poorly thought-out, and Freevo is a
long way off from their 2.0 release, so I'm currently using Elisa. Elisa
uses the gstreamer system for video playback, which doesn't perform
particularly well. I have also tried playing hi-def video through xine or
mplayer, though, and even those can't play realtime.

I'm currently planning on building a new system for hi-def, but if that
isn't a significant improvement I'm seriously considering moving to a
Mac/Windows PC instead.