[olug] Interactive shell cluster

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Thu Sep 6 17:39:36 UTC 2007

> I'm taking a shot in the dark here, does anyone know how to configure an
> interactive shell cluster?
>
> What I have is about 8 1U servers with 4CPUs each.  One acts as a
> headnode, the others as 'workers' (standard HPC cluster with PBS and
> Condor available for scheduling).  What I'd like is for anyone logging
> into the headnode to spawn a shell on a worker so that interactive CPU
> usage can be balanced.  I'd settle for round robin scheduling, it
> doesn't have to be 'smart' about it.

Sounds like you're looking for the Linux Virtual Server (LVS) project.
It does exactly what you're looking for by spreading out the number
of connections among a collection of "real servers".  It'll handle any
service you want, not just shells.  You can even have redundant head
nodes (called "directors" in LVS-speak) for high availability.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/