[olug] Interactive shell cluster

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Sep 6 17:12:37 UTC 2007

Hey Nebraska Luggers,

I'm taking a shot in the dark here, does anyone know how to configure an
interactive shell cluster?

What I have is about 8 1U servers with 4CPUs each.  One acts as a
headnode, the others as 'workers' (standard HPC cluster with PBS and
Condor available for scheduling).  What I'd like is for anyone logging
into the headnode to spawn a shell on a worker so that interactive CPU
usage can be balanced.  I'd settle for round robin scheduling, it
doesn't have to be 'smart' about it.

I know this is done at Fermilab, but I can't find any good docs anywhere
on how to configure such a beast.  Perhaps it's really trivial?

Can someone point me to a good how to?  Google didn't seem to help last
time I tried it.

Carl Lundstedt
UNL