[olug] Laptop HD for borrowing?

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Mon Oct 29 03:22:15 UTC 2007

> Does anyone have a laptop HD I could borrow for a bit? Ideally with some kind
> of Linux/PPC installation (or enough space that I can install it). Our G3
> iBook's HD has been dying for months now and I'd like to evaluate if we need
> to look into replacing the whole thing or just the HD. In particular,
> performance absolutely sucks even though it is a decent (in PPC terms) 900
> MHz...

I also have a 900 MHz G3 iBook (dual USB).  As Dan said, it works fine
for email & browsing, but it's on the slow side for much else.  Anything
written in Java absolutely slaughters it, even with the maximum 640 MB
of RAM.

My iBook is actually the flakiest computer I've ever owned.  Apps are
constantly dying for no reason, and every now and then I'll get the
multi-lingual screen o' death, which forces me to do a hard power cycle.
I intend to replace it with a much faster PC-class laptop running Ubuntu,
which I can probably do for zero cash, since those 3.5-yr-old iBooks
still fetch $400 on eBay.  I got this Mac two years ago mainly as an
experiment with OS/X, but I've decided that I really don't like how
Apple does things, so I'm ready to move on.