[olug] Linux-friendly GPS units

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Oct 29 17:00:33 UTC 2007

I'm looking into purchasing a Linux/OSS friendly GPS unit.  Specifically
I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi 250 or TomTom Go 510, but I'm open to other
ideas.
First and foremost, I want a unit with a color screen (not a hiking
oriented smaller B&W screen) and voice prompts.  After that, I'm pretty
open to suggestions.

I don't want/need the Bluetooth, MP3 player, photo viewer, etc features,
but they would be nice.

I'll even pay a bit more in cost to support a Linux-friendly manufacturer.

Is there any way that maps can be updated by the end users on these
things?  (There is a lot of building in my area and I'd like to have the
ability to add/update roads without paying out a lot each year for the
latest updates.)

Suggestions?

Dan

- - - -
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot,
jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-- Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov (Author)
GIGN, cybercash, CDA, Pixar, Offensive Information, Competitor, JAVA
mailbomb, Morwenstow, 3, B.D.M.,Sphinx, Shayet-13, S.E.T. Team, Delta Force
debugging, JITEM, Spoke, data havens, INR, RFI, Security Evaluation