[olug] CentOS / yum users - a little help? Want to upgrade php without MySQL

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Fri Mar 2 02:17:38 UTC 2007

Oh Travis, thats really not the answer I wanted to hear...  ;-)

I have done it that way for many years, but at my new job I am trying to
go the rpm route.  I'm the only guy there with Linux administration
experience, and I want to make it easier for the others if they need to
do something in my absence.

The PHP5.0 packages in the repository a few months ago were compiled
against MySQL 4.  So now that they've moved to PHP 5.1, they've decided
to compile it against MySQL 5?  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to
me.  It was a minor version increment on the PHP side, forcing a *major*
version change to MySQL.  And I mean major, I haven't had good luck in
the past moving to MySQL 5 without breaking stuff.

So anyway, putting that aside - PHP5.1.3 is compiled with MySQL 5.x
libraries.  Ok.  But those client libraries can connect to a MySQL 4.x
server just fine.  So isn't there a way I can install the PHP5.1.3
stuff, including whatever client libraries it needs, without updating my
MySQL *server* to 5.x?    This wouldn't be an issue at all if my
webserver and database server weren't on the same machine.  I really
think there's a way I can update the client stuff to 5 without updating
the server, no?

-Ryan