[olug] CentOS / yum users - a little help? Want to upgrade php without MySQL

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 03:41:40 UTC 2007

Ryan,

I agree, it doesn't make sense to jump a major version like that,
especially when I've heard pretty mixed reviews about MySQL 5x... (for
another thread) ;)

But, to answer your question, there is a way with both Debs and RPMs
to install w/o paying attention to the required dependencies. The
option in the RPM world is:

rpm -i --force --nodeps <pkg name>

Obviously, this is not what you want to start doing if your goal is ease of use.

I really hate to ask this type of question, since it "sounds" like
this is an environment where distro change is not feasible, but...
When you're running a binary-based distribution, your options on how
things relate to each other and what gets updated when and what
version you're going to use, and what options you want compiled in are
not *yours* to choose. They're decided by whoever is rolling those
packages.

So, would moving to a different distro be an option. (no, I haven't
lost my mind, and yes, I am still on the same page with you for ease
of use) :)

Cheers!
Travis

On 3/1/07, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:
> Oh Travis, thats really not the answer I wanted to hear...  ;-)
>
> I have done it that way for many years, but at my new job I am trying to
> go the rpm route.  I'm the only guy there with Linux administration
> experience, and I want to make it easier for the others if they need to
> do something in my absence.
>
> The PHP5.0 packages in the repository a few months ago were compiled
> against MySQL 4.  So now that they've moved to PHP 5.1, they've decided
> to compile it against MySQL 5?  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to
> me.  It was a minor version increment on the PHP side, forcing a *major*
> version change to MySQL.  And I mean major, I haven't had good luck in
> the past moving to MySQL 5 without breaking stuff.
>
> So anyway, putting that aside - PHP5.1.3 is compiled with MySQL 5.x
> libraries.  Ok.  But those client libraries can connect to a MySQL 4.x
> server just fine.  So isn't there a way I can install the PHP5.1.3
> stuff, including whatever client libraries it needs, without updating my
> MySQL *server* to 5.x?    This wouldn't be an issue at all if my
> webserver and database server weren't on the same machine.  I really
> think there's a way I can update the client stuff to 5 without updating
> the server, no?
>
> -Ryan
>
> Travis Owens wrote:
> > Unfortunately Ryan, that is the way binary packages are setup. There
> > is no flexibility when it comes to the minimum dependency versions.
> > The reason you're getting that error is because the machine the
> > package was made on, PHP was compiled against that version of MySQL
> > and thus, hard-coded values of that version of MySQL libraries are in
> > that PHP build.
> >
> > My best advice to you, and this is serious.... roll your own!
> >
> > The LAMP process is so ridiculously easy now, and you'll get more
> > functionality and less bloat when you do it yourself. You can
> > enable/disable the features you want and make a more streamlined
> > binary.
> >
> > You could consider compiling all of them (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Zlib,
> > LibXML, GD, etc) and it shouldn't take that long once you know which
> > ones you want (obviously removing them from the aforementioned list)
> > On an old P2-400, I rolled the main packages: Apache, PHP, and MySQL
> > out myself, and they took about 2hrs of time... that's not bad
> > considering it's going to do most of the work itself...
> >
> > The other thing you could do, is that the binary packages (on both DEB
> > and RPM) sides have DEV compliments. Which means, if you don't want to
> > have to custom compile all of the packages you want, you could just
> > choose to download their DEV rpms and then compile only PHP against
> > those source libraries. (depending on your box it should move
> > quick--provide your specs and I'll have a better idea of time-frames)
> >
> > HTH,
> > Travis
> >
> > On 3/1/07, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:

> [...]

Travis Owens

VISTA is just a secret codeword that Microsoft thought up which
actually stands for: Viruses, Intruders, Spy-ware, Trojans & Ad-ware