[olug] CentOS / yum users - a little help? Want to upgrade php without MySQL

Travis Owens openbook1441 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 00:35:05 UTC 2007

Unfortunately Ryan, that is the way binary packages are setup. There
is no flexibility when it comes to the minimum dependency versions.
The reason you're getting that error is because the machine the
package was made on, PHP was compiled against that version of MySQL
and thus, hard-coded values of that version of MySQL libraries are in
that PHP build.

My best advice to you, and this is serious.... roll your own!

The LAMP process is so ridiculously easy now, and you'll get more
functionality and less bloat when you do it yourself. You can
enable/disable the features you want and make a more streamlined
binary.

You could consider compiling all of them (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Zlib,
LibXML, GD, etc) and it shouldn't take that long once you know which
ones you want (obviously removing them from the aforementioned list)
On an old P2-400, I rolled the main packages: Apache, PHP, and MySQL
out myself, and they took about 2hrs of time... that's not bad
considering it's going to do most of the work itself...

The other thing you could do, is that the binary packages (on both DEB
and RPM) sides have DEV compliments. Which means, if you don't want to
have to custom compile all of the packages you want, you could just
choose to download their DEV rpms and then compile only PHP against
those source libraries. (depending on your box it should move
quick--provide your specs and I'll have a better idea of time-frames)

HTH,
Travis

On 3/1/07, Ryan Stille <ryan at cfwebtools.com> wrote:
> I used the centosplus repository to install php-5.0.4 a while ago.  Now
> I want to upgrade that to version 5.1.6, which is what is available in
> the repository.  But when I run "yum --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade
> php", it tells me its going to also upgrade my MySQL to version 5.x
> because of some dependencies.  I *don't* want to to that, I want to stay
> on 4.x right now.
>
> So I tried "yum --exclude=mysql* --enablerepo=centosplus upgrade php",
> but then I get missing dependency errors.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.  Thanks,
> -Ryan

Travis Owens

VISTA is just a secret codeword that Microsoft thought up which
actually stands for: Viruses, Intruders, Spy-ware, Trojans & Ad-ware