[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Nathan Rotschafer (OLUG) olug at geniussystems.net
Fri Jun 27 13:09:18 UTC 2003

The following is just my $.02...

The concerns with NFS are misplaced.  That is like saying Windows shares will
cause problems.  Will cause some network traffic...yes...but no more than the
chatty Windows clients/servers (run a packet sniffer and you will see how
chatty windows boxes are).  If you don't use NFS on cross system mounts the
traffic will be minimal and the impact to your existing systems should be
non-existant.  It is a protocal not a network topology or something.  If any
protocol was gonna bring your network to it's knees go look at SMB (what
windows uses).  NIS shouldn't be a problem either even if you use it it is
just a method for verifying authentication.  Now there are security concerns
with NIS and I might recommend something like PAM LDAP or PAM Kerberos in
it's place but that is simply up to you (PAM Kerberos can authenticate
windows clients too...well the kerberos server can anyway).  The biggest
thing of concern in your rollout would be to make sure the linux boxes do
what they are supposed to do...this nonsense about NFS/NIS is just FUD mixed
with some Smoke and Mirrors.

Nate