[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Mac Petras Mac at PetrasWeb.com
Fri Jun 27 13:14:31 UTC 2003

Hey all -

My Sys Admin is voicing concerns over placing Linux boxes on the
"production" network (not like we have a dev/test network). Her
concern is that NFS/NIS may cause problems with routers/switches
and other network equipment.

I'm trying to understand this issue (or determine what is just
FUD), so please forgive what I have wrong here. From my
perspective, since this is basically just a protocol, there
should be few (if any) issues with this. Also, if we don't have
the daemon running or do any cross-system mounts, will NFS even
show up on the network?

Anyone got any ideas on how to alay her concerns on the issue?
Anything she can do or try? I feel pretty safe in bringing Linux
in , but am concerned this might be used as a...stall...tactic
until she learns "everything", or feel "comfortable" with Linux
to allow it.

Any help, ideas or information is greatly appreciated.