[olug] Linux, Networks and NFS/NIS

Mac Petras Mac at PetrasWeb.com
Fri Jun 27 14:31:20 UTC 2003

Thanks to one and all. This pretty much matched my expectations.

What I'm trying to do is get the Tech Svcs team (they work for
me) to start learning and getting familiar with Linux, since I
want to look at using it for internal websites, perhaps file
servers and a few app servers. 2 of the team members are eager,
but she is very skilled (Novell and Windows) but very cautious
about things she does not have experience with - which I
understand....to a point.

Se wants everyone (including myself) to work on standalone
machines (not connected to the network).  This might work fine
for the others who are just learning the basics of linux, but I'm
looking to do development/testing to SQL Server databases, run
web servers and CVS servers....which requires me to have it
connected to the network.

Does anyone have experience trying to "win over" older techies
that have a bit of FUD about linux?  Our VP, while he doesn't
have a tech background, at least understands the need to consider
and use linux where possible - so at least that isn't a problem.