[olug] Debian Sound Config

Jacobs, Robert A. RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com
Tue Jul 30 14:52:51 UTC 2002

Are you sure the module is loaded?

Try "lsmod" to see if it is loaded.
If it is NOT loaded,

	modprobe <module-name>

If that fixes your problem, add the name of the module to

	/etc/modules

> I obviously don't know hwat I'm doing.  While I like being
> able to apt-get the software I want.  How do I find out the
> names of the software I want that are already available in
> the archive.  Some are easy mozilla and mpg123 but others I'm
> not sure of the names so I can't guess the package names.  If
> I know the name apt-cache showpkg pkgname works but what
> about when I don't know hte pkgname?

Try
	apt-cache search <expression>

Where expression is a word that might appear in the name of the package or
description. For example,

	apt-cache search mozilla

Will show all of the packages that have mozilla in the title or reference
mozilla in their description.

> I should probably upgrade to the 2.4 kernel. What is the name
> of the pkg to download the kernel source in debian?

	apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18

	You'll also want to install the kernel-package if you do not have
it.  It is the "Debian Way"(TM) to do kernel compilations -- simplifies the
kernel compilation/installation cycle by creating a *.deb file that you can
then install with dpkg and remove with apt-get.  This way the process is
automated and you don't end up forgetting to move modules around or rerun
lilo:

		apt-get install kernel-package gcc make libncurses5-dev

	To use the kernel-package, do this:

	Create a symlink in /usr/src to the kernel source...

		ln -s /usr/src/kernel-2.4.18 linux
		cd /usr/src/linux
		make-kpkg clean
		make-kpkg --config=menu
			    --revision=custom.2.4.18
			    kernel_image
		cd /usr/src

	if you have previously compiled a 2.4.18 kernel,

		rm -rf /lib/modules/2.4.18

		dpkg -i <name of deb file created by kernel-package>

	Answer yes or no to creating a boot floppy.
	Answer YES to installing a lilo boot sector.

	Reboot.
	Voila.

	If you need instructions for patching the kernel (e.g. with the
	preemptible kernel patch), just say so.  It's very easy with the
	Debian tools.

Robert A. Jacobs

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org