[olug] linux web server management ?

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Dec 18 21:00:40 UTC 2002

>apt-get install apache
>
>This grabs all dependencies and installs them.  Have you tried to do
>something similar with one command from the command line in any other
>distro?  It brings on fits of rage.
>
>Another machine is a fileserver with samba.  From the base system:
>
>apt-get install samba
>
>That's it!!!!  Instant dedicated system!  So wonderfully easy I could
>almost wet myself.

Settle down Beavis, that's a TMI if I ever heard one.  :-)  This is all
well and good, but which is easier,  the apt-get command or d:\setup.exe?
If you're honest, the setup command is easier.  You don't have to know
anything to start the install other than where your new program is.  With
apt-get you have to know the apt-get switches and more importantly what the
package is called. (I'm not trying to take a shot at you I'm just stating
my opinion).

Furthermore what I'm interested in with Linux is not a server, but a
workstation.  I don't run file sharing and web servers on workstations,
that's what servers are for.  How about something useful for a general user
like Gnucash?  Or some other personal finance manager?

Bill