[olug] linux web server management ?

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 21:21:53 UTC 2002

Don't quote me on this but from a base system:

apt-get install gnucash

would probably download and install everything needed to run gnucash.
This includes the Window manager and everything else.

I think the only problem with apt-get is knowing the name of the
program you want to install.  some of them are basic like apache and
gnucash.  Others are not so friendly, like kde.  kde itself is not an
installable program, you have to install kdebase.

Finding this name is about as difficult as going and downloading
whatever program you want then finding its setup.exe file.

I think apt and setup.exe are equivalent in difficulty.

Not much for switches for using apt if you just want to install
programs.  The GUI frontend makes finding the programs easier.  Then
click, click the program and dependencies if needed are downloaded and
installed.

I haven't worked with urpmi or apt-rpm so I don't know how easy those
are to use.

Eric