[OLUG] RealMedia

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Fri Jan 21 19:57:33 UTC 2000

if it's any consolation, I couldn't figure out how to get this work either > :(

I'm sure it's no consolation. Oh well. I'll shut up now.

Quinn Coldiron wrote:

> > The following is fron the README file localet in /usr/doc/G2player-6.0
> > dir...
> >
> > In order to launch the Player automatically from the Netscape browser,
> > you must configure Netscape so that it treats the Player as a Helper
> > Application.  There are two ways to do this.  The first is to use the
> > Netscape Preferences dialog to set Application preferences.  Use the
> > following parameters:

> > MIMEType:     audio/x-pn-realaudio
> > Suffixes:     ra,rm,ram
> >
> > Handled By:
> > Application:  realplay %s
> >
> > If there is already an application configured to handle the
> > 'audio/x-pn-realaudio' MIME type (for example, RealPlayer 5.0), you
> > may need to replace/override those settings with those shown above,
> > instead of creating new ones.  Also note that the Application command
> > line shown above assumes that the 'realplay' executable is in your
> > PATH.
> >
> > The second way to make the RealPlayer a Netscape Helper Application is
> > to manually edit the .mime.types and .mailcap files in your home
> > directory.  If these files do not currently exist in your home
> > directory, you can simply copy the example files Mime.types and
> > Mailcap from the RealPlayer installation directory.  For example:
> >
> >         cp RealPlayerG2/Mime.types ~/.mime.types
> >         cp RealPlayerG2/Mailcap ~/.mailcap
> >

> > That should answer the original question.
> > John
>
> Thanks for all your help, but you kep giving me the same answer...how to make
> RealMedia a Netscape helper application.  I already have this done.  Yes, when
> I click on a RealMedia links, yes the player starts and yes it plays
> automatically.  I've been doing that since the 5.0 player for Linux.
>
> RealMedia ALSO can be a plugin.  The player is EMBEDDED INSIDE the web page,
> not in a different window.  Many sites REQUIRE the player to run this way so
> they can control what you see, and make the webpage and player look more
> integrated.  This function is installed by default on Windows and Mac, but it
> is not automatic on Linux/Unix.  I have heard people say they have done it (I
> think with the 5.0 player) and I want to know how.
>
> If you do not understand what I am saying, please look at this page:
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/radio/ then click on the live radio link.
>
> A plugin and a helper application are different things.
>
> Again,  thanks for your help.
>
> Quinn
>
> =====

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus