[olug] can't get eth0 up

ktb xyf at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 12 21:43:07 UTC 2000

I sent this to the redhat list and haven't had a response, thought I'd try
you guys.  I'm using redhat 6.2 in console only.  The short of it is I
upgraded to the 2.2.15 kernel and since then I can't get my eth0 to work.
I'm now using my old kernel and things are still broke.

OK I reverted back to my default kernel and eth0 is still broken since I
recompiled a new kernel.  I got depmod to work by blowing away everything
that was in /etc/modules.conf and leaving it blank.

Then I tried: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net/ne2k-pci.o

Got the following errors:
unresolved symbol ei_open
unresolved symbol ethdev_init
unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
unresolved symbol NS8390_init
unresolved symbol ei_close

If I try: modprobe -a net \* it runs for a while and then freezes the
keyboard and everything and I have to hard reboot.

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,
kent