[olug-colo] I'm signing a contract in less than 60 days

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:47:17 EST 2010

Hmmm

Dedicated server leasing is cheap and easy to come by.

$30-$50 a month for 10mbit dedicated on an atom is pretty standard fare.

askwebhosting.com comes to mind i think.

Colo places can vary greatly in prices... some are competitive to what's
mentioned here, some are not...

The thing that people need to remember here --- although we're starting out
with limited bandwidth .... is that the colo is local... and has an awesome
support staff (assuming olug is awesome hehehe).  Being a local colo means
that ya can easily setup a beefy 1u/2u and install it.  For something
requiring high horsepower or storage needs but limited connectivity -- this
is awesome.

Once the move to 100mbit is complete, then the possibilities having a higher
bandwidth setup makes it quite a bit more interesting.

Again -- this is local, less hassle to have to fiddle with the machine if
needed, etc etc etc etc.

Cheap dedi's have their purpose (typically for cheap bandwidth), but colo,
especially local colo, has it's own purpose as well.

-Will