[olug-colo] I'm signing a contract in less than 60 days

Charles Bird cbird.omaha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:58:16 EST 2010

Ya, OLM has some pretty good pricing, looks like they have alot of space,
network and power thats been established for quite a while. I think their
deals arent profitable, but, I am assuming that with their add-on services,
that could be where they make their money.
I would consider getting something there if I wasnt trying to do my own
thing.

IMO, any colo thats under 50 per month is a good deal, especially if its on
UPS/Generator and includes a decent network connection.
My logic in going with Pin Point, is that after I over grow that 20Mb
connection, I can purchase IP from Farnam which will lower costs
significantly, I just have to get there first.

Most 1U servers are going to use about 10-15 bucks in power alone per month
depending on the rates within a particular area. Most datacenter operators
tack on 5-10 bucks per AMP for maint and cost recovery of the UPS and
gensets. Then theres cost of bandwidth, the space itself, network gear, etc.
If everything has been paid for in terms of equipment, then its not too hard
to undercut everyone else, and then get the money out of the customer at a
later date via add-on's or perhaps extensive support.
Just my 2 cents.

If anyone wants to see the pricing I'm getting in person, let me know. I
cant post it on this list though.