[olug] Today's recommendations for a beginner

Jared Bernard jared.bernard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:01:12 CDT 2023

As someone who teaches Linux for a living, I think you offered the best
advice. Your friend should install Linux and live in it. Do everything they
normally do with a computer but with Linux. They should force themselves to
do as much as possible in the command line. This will be where most of
their learning will happen.

I have found that one of the biggest struggles for newbies is understanding
paths and using the correct path with commands. I blame modern GUI file
managers that hide the paths by default on all platforms.

Having a mentor is also extremely helpful. Everything can be found online,
but sometimes new users don't know what to search for or what question to
ask or how to translate the answer and apply the answer they find. So,
having someone they can go to when they get stuck is beneficial.