[olug] Apache question

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Fri Jul 28 03:32:59 CDT 2023

... wait, I want to change my answer. I do actually have a "<Directory
/>" section, and it controls what happens to the root directory.

And when I put in the contents you have for your "<Directory />"
section, Apache loads properly, but it won't serve any content. Which is
probably because of "Order deny,allow" followed by "Deny from all" -- so
first thing Apache does is it decides not to serve any content anywhere
under "/".

My normal "<Directory />" section looks like this, and it treats me well:

<Directory />
     AllowOverride none
     Require all denied
</Directory>

Lord Google is telling me that "Require all denied" is the currently
acceptable way to say "Order" and then "Deny".

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html

In 2.2, access control based on client hostname, IP address, and other
characteristics of client requests was done using the directives|Order
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_access_compat.html#order>|,|Allow
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_access_compat.html#allow>|,|Deny
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_access_compat.html#deny>|,
and|Satisfy
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_access_compat.html#satisfy>|.

In 2.4, such access control is done in the same way as other
authorization checks, using the new module|mod_authz_host
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_host.html>|. The old
access control idioms should be replaced by the new authentication
mechanisms, although for compatibility with old configurations, the new
module|mod_access_compat
<https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_access_compat.html>|is provided.

      2.2 configuration:

Orderdeny,allow Denyfrom all