[olug] VPN Opinion?

aric at omahax.com aric at omahax.com
Mon Jan 18 03:32:16 CST 2021

Hello Craig,

For the past 10+ years, for small office VPNs I have just added a dual port Intel NIC to retired SFF desktops and put pfSense on it.
It is basically free, easy, and is also rock solid.  Save the config and you can replace it with very quickly with dumpster hardware if it dies.
I have also built mini pcs for this for the fancier clients.  You can get prebuilt ones like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9NTR6Z/ if you want to spend money.

OpnSense might be the way to go if you are not me and haven't used pfSense for ~15 years.
I will likely try it soon.  .....pfSense is nice for this because they don’t update as often and are probably more stable because of it, but IDK YMMV.

-Aric