[olug] Copying a hard drive to USB with dd

Anthony Kava karver at forensic.coffee
Sat Jan 16 13:14:19 CST 2021

Yes - just be sure the flash drive is reliable and consider ddrescue or use
arguments to dd to avoid it stopping when it hits an error.  If you want to
be sure you have a good copy you can dd/ddrescue to a file on the flash
drive then run md5sum against your old drive and then the file to compare
their hash values.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 13:07, Thomas D Williamson <twilliam at inebraska.com>
wrote:

> I have a 80 GB drive that is too full to perform updates. I have a
> larger drive to replace it. I have 128 GB USB and was wondering if dd
> could be used to copy the 80 GB onto it  and install the new drive and
> use dd to copy the 80 GB to the larger drive. I would then resize the
> partitions to use available space among other things.
>
> I looked around and could not find anything that addressed this. I have
> done this with drives where there were more slots for putting in drives
> with SATA connections, but this is a compact format and has more of a
> laptop connection, so I do not see how to have the old drive and new
> drive attached at the same time to accomplish the dd transfer.
>
> Tom

Kava