[olug] The twitter feed

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Thu Jan 14 08:19:15 CST 2021

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:21 PM Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:03 PM Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 open source
>> +1 self hosted (given recent events, relying on the largess of others is
>> a recipe for disaster)
>>

> If a member posted something normally protected by 230, but it was
> repealed, we would be in trouble.

This is true even if not self-hosted.

> If members organized a plot to kidnap and seriously threaten executions,
> we would be luck if LEO knocked.

Also true if not self-hosted.

> I am all for free speech, but with freedom, comes responsibility.

I don't view OLUG as a political channel, save for topics like EFF.
Anything that strays from tech related should get nuked anyway.
If that is your thing, there are other channels better suited to that.  I'm
big on free speech as well, but on this channel that would mean not
nuking winblows questions. :)   If you want to champion non-tech political
topic x or y, then this isn't a place for that anymore than it is a dating
site.

>> maybe go retro - irc, usenet and gopher? ;)
>>
> irc :)
>
> I see that Element  supports irc.
>> https://alternativeto.net/software/riot-im/about/
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 9:39 PM Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have found many Linux and podcasts share their content and pointers via
>>> twitter.  Actually, find the SNR to be decent.
>>>
>>> Prefer openSource and selfHosted as much as possible and last i heard,
>>> discord is not, but there are alternatives.  webRTC has been around a
>>> long
>>> time.

--
Best,