[olug] [OT] Cable Cutter's Dilemma

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Sun Sep 20 19:38:03 CDT 2020

I've been serving up tele over network for quite some time.  Silicon Dust 4
ATSC tuner -> MythTV to handle recording(mythbuntu) -> kodi +mythtv plugin
on my Amazon Fire Boxes on my tvs.
The only ongoing charge is for tv listings.   It's a bit more complicated
than most would want, but I've had the setup working for 10+ years.  I use
Kodi because it also handles my movie collection and is easy to sideload on
fire devices.

I'm pulling in 21 stations currently. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, and PBS.  All
of the channels have multiple subchannels, usually the main and then 2 or 3
more.  I prefer to record and let myth autoflag commercials before I
watch.  I have auto-skip enabled on my playback.  I usually don't have
patience to watch when I can't skip.

None of the above has anything to do with an hdmi converter dongle, but I
was just trying to point out that most will want access to that signal on
more than 1 device.  That dongle will limit you to just 1 device.     Just
my overly wordy $0.02  :)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 4:36 PM William Mihalo <wmihalo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do a search on "DTV converter with HDMI output." There are a number of
> devices available that are under $30.
> I have a Silicon Dust HomeRun ATSC tuner model HDHR-T1-US sitting on my
> desk. It supports 1080p output. It requires a coax antenna connection and a
> hardwired ethernet connection at the same location. You're welcome to have
> it.
>
> Bill Mihalo
>
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 4:04 PM Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've recently dropped my YouTubeTV membership after yet another price
> > increase.   I purchased a new TV antenna but was surprised that my TV
> does
> > not have a Coax connection.    I'm looking at a Coax-->HDMI adapter, but
> > they seem pretty pricey.   How much picture quality will I lose if I use
> an
> > adapter?
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > --