[olug] Firewall appliances for small business (Might be OT sorry)

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 18:34:14 CDT 2019

A raid array of SSD drives and how much different is hardware from all
silicon commercial solutions.

One of the firewalls is untangle because it allows us to fine grain filter,
block by country,  14.2 will supposedly allow whitelisting a few IP
addresses thru the Intrusion Prevention System.  Untangle also has
antivirus, spam filtering, and OpenVPN is built-in.

If you run your own iptables and ipsets, modifying the udev rules is fairly
easy and well worthwhile to keep internet connections separate from
internal.   Something like:
wanCox0, wanCL1, wanLTE2, wanDMZ,
lan0, lanVLan8,  lanVLanWiFi666, lanVLanCams226,

/etc/udev/rules.d/[70|90].*-network*.rules
(On my phone, do not remember exact filename)

restorecon /
to keep selinux enabled after copying files or pulling from git.