[olug] Nagios XI

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Fri Apr 19 14:50:55 CDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greeting Linux folks,
> I'm working on some research about monitoring systems.   Has anyone moved
> from Nagios to Nagios XI?  If so, what where the primary differences?

I haven't used Nagios in years.  My recent monitoring efforts have been
more (very large) network focused, with server monitoring being less my
responsibility.  For (open source) server monitoring, however, I've found
that I much prefer Zabbix over Nagios.  If I were doing a new deployment of
server monitoring, I'd start with Zabbix unless I had a good reason[1]
otherwise.

Some of the SaaS/cloud based solutions *can* be very useful, provided they
match up with your infrastructure and monitoring needs.  Trying to cram
them in on legacy platforms can be a nightmare and usually isn't worth it,
though.  Also, they tend to over-promise and under-provide in my experience.

Out of curiosity, what is the scale and breadth you're dealing with?  How
many systems?  What OS(s)?  Only looking at servers?  What ticketing
system(s) are you integrating with?  What other monitoring platforms are
you using?  Are they all located in internal data centers?  Or cloud?

[1] If you have enough prior experience with Nagios, that might be a good
enough reason to stick with it.

--
Christopher