[olug] any WordPress whizzes on board?

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Fri Dec 7 15:54:47 CST 2018

Thanks, I think you told me what I want to know.

I'm comfortable using Linux for unchallenging operations, like
transplanting entire Wordpress so that it behaves identically in its new
home (dump the database, zip up the Wordpress directory, transplant, fix
.htaccess if need be).  My particular issue involves /merging/
Wordpresses, and that's where I worry more about tripping over
WordPress's internal mechanisms.  Like, to pull in pages from another
WordPress, that for sure needs to be an export / import operation, just
for ID and slug management. The database requires finesse, and it's far
better to rely on someone in the know (say, WordPress themselves) to
manage that.

Merging images from another Wordpress /could/ be a nightmare, if there's
much or any database involvement.  That's why I'd really like to export
/ import the images rather than just zip / unzip the "uploads"
directory.  The good news is, so far, there don't seem to be any
problems if I export / import the images and then zip / unzip any
resized versions; Wordpress seems not to feel anything questionable is
going on.

But that could change at any time, and it sure would be nice if there
were a plugin that copied the complete set of images, with at least
lukewarm assurances that it was doing things the "approved" way.

Honestly, I do not get why this isn't a well-trodden path.  If I create
a page, pull in an image, and resize it, WordPress will build a resized
version of that image and link  to it.  It follows that, if I'm
exporting that page for importing elsewhere, I'm likewise going to need
to export the resized image for importing elsewhere.