[olug] Windows is doomed

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 16:53:37 CDT 2017

i wish you wouldn't have mentioned browsers because i don't like to post on
lists these days, but i use lynx for most of my browsing because almost
every graphical browser i have used is a resource hogging kludge with
highly questionable default settings and a tendency to violate almost every
kind of privacy....don't even get me started on browser security.

if anyone can point us to a lightweight graphical browser that doesn't
suck, that would be cool. in the meantime, i strongly recommend that
developers support text browsers, as many impaired people rely on
screen-readers, which work really well with text browsers.

as far as the topic at hand:
i strongly agree with aric. anyone who does any significant amount of
typing (like anyone who uses email daily for work) should be using a
physical keyboard.

i agree with lou's first point, but linux should not be mistaken for an OS,
it is merely the kernel to a wide variety of OS's and graphical
environments - many of which are quite stable, reliable, and even user
friendly to the novice (android comes to mind). as far as windowing, i
recommend the default openbox config with no display manager (startx) if
you rarely need a desktop, maybe lxde if you're proficient, but for some
reason you like using a mouse.

when recommending to a novice, i usually suggest one of the gnome2 clones
(cinnamon, etc) because the look is familiar to most and easy to navigate.

kde and gnome3 look nice on a modern machine, but i haven't used the stable
versions enough to give any kind of recommendation.

as far as having to write bash scripts to fix things, this seems to me to
be very common in the derivative distros (mint, ubuntu) due to the cruft
that gets packed on top of some more reliable distro (debian).