[olug] apt-get performance issue

David Gilman davidgilman1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:32:57 CDT 2016

The "Reading package lists..." step is done after archive metadata
(Packages file) is downloaded so Noel won't get any relief from new apt
mirrors.  The key bit here is "appliance", they have comparatively slower
CPUs and have trouble getting through the Packages file.  In that step it's
parsing every single package in the archive and it's just killing the CPU.
This is a place where it would be great if Debian updated their
infrastructure but it just hasn't happened yet.