[olug] [OT] anyone know how to load Android app on a Kindle?

Ross Nelson ross.nelson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 20:44:57 CDT 2015

(I'm no help with your issue as the HD is considerably different from the
original Fire that I have)

A word of caution for his GoPro and for anyone else that might buy a Fire
as an Android tablet, things may have gotten better since the original Fire
(which was Android 2; I believe the current line-up is 4.x), but there were
quite a few issues with sideloading apps on the original.

In my case, the only one I tried (giving up because it was too much work; I
bought an iPad and have gotten much more use out of it) was some SSH
client. Grabbed the apk from the developer, dropped it on the Fire, and
opened it up. No keyboard.

As it turns out, when Amazon was building their UI, they made some small
differences that cause some Android apps to not function as expected. It
was only a couple of lines of source change, and being an open source SSH
client someone had built a Fire-friendly one, but if you don't have the
source, knowledge, time, or whatever to rebuild, some apps may not work as
expected.