[olug] help needed cleaning a home computer network.

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Thu Mar 27 07:26:38 UTC 2014

I admit that I'm not sure how an E-Mail opened in Linux would have
resulted in your Windows partition getting infected, and my working
assumption is that it did not -- whatever you've got on your Windows
partition got installed during a previous Windows session.  With that
assumption in mind, I am assuming CentOS is clean, unless you have
observed any symptoms while running CentOS.  (Perhaps it's a boot sector
thing, in which case trying to clean Windows would still cover it.)

There's a good chance you can clean your Windows partition yourself,
with VIPRE Rescue:

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/live/

Instructions:

1)    Boot to the CentOS partition.

2)    Download VIPRE Rescue onto a flash drive.

3)    Disconnect the computer from the Internet.

4)    Boot to the Windows partition.

5)    Install VIPRE Rescue.

6)    Run VIPRE Rescue, and let it do its thing.

7)    Run VIPRE Rescue a second time, and hopefully it won't find any
more traces of anything on your computer.

Depending on how deeply embedded your malware is, this may or may not do
the trick.  However, it's free, and it can't hurt (or is extremely
unlikely to anyway).