[olug] help needed cleaning a home computer network.

Jack jdunn110 at cox.net
Thu Mar 27 05:39:42 UTC 2014

     I'm running a desktop and laptop system both with dual-boot Centos
6 and Windows 7.  Firefox has recently been crashing regularly on the
desktop running Centos (my usual machine).  This morning I used the
laptop to boot Windows 7 since my bank has decided that it will allow
online access only to current versions of Firefox, and the Centos
Firefox is usually a few versions behind.  After accessing the bank
account I left the desktop running.  When I came back to it 20 minutes
or so later, it had decided to display a porno site.  I don't do risky
website browsing.

     In a fit of absentmindedness, I had clicked on a link from a
plausible email about a month ago.  The person who sent it told me his
email had been hacked, so I was concerned but hoped that the fact that I
was running Linux protected me.  I guess not.

     I'm looking for someone who can clean the system, both Linux and
Windows.  If you are interested or know someone who can handle it,
please contact me off-list.  Otherwise, I'll start calling around to
local "computer virus cleaner" shops.

     Thanks,

     Jack Dunn
     402 551-2552