[olug] Centurylink "Gigabit" my ass....

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Sat Jun 21 23:43:43 CDT 2014

When I first got Cox ultimate at my current house it was terrible it was
when it first came out and only 100mb.  It took several months to get it
working right.   Similar to what Brian is going through now.
They didn't have the 50mb business at reasonable price at that time, if they
had it might have been a good idea for me to get it, then once they got it
working switch back or add residential server and see if they fixed it then
drop the business.  I hypothesize that they put more effort into making it
work when it is a business account, once it is working correctly it tends to
stay that way.

I was doing offsite backups to my home as well, I switched it to a
datacenter. "but I had Cox Business" isn't going to help.
Getting a tech to fix the issue in 2 hours is cool but it is usually a known
outage that they are "working on" regardless of whether it is residential or
business.

I should compare sip latency between the 2 to see if it matters they could
be doing some sort of traffic shaping on residential service I am not
noticing.  I am just not sure it isn't mostly a placebo effect.

....but whatever, more internet for me.