[olug] Disappointment and a question ...

Jay Bendon jaybocc2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 05:21:42 UTC 2014

> Ford, Chevy, Dodge.
>
> Go.
>
> :P

Chevy, duh.

Seriously though.  Nvidia has hands down the best 3d acceleration support
on linux today.

I would much rather buy AMD to support the little guy but NVidia is so much
better and so much easier.  I spent an entire weekend trying to get a $300
AMD?ATI Card installed with proper functioning 3d acceleration... constant
fails.

Sold it for a huge loss and picked up an equivalent Nvidia card, up and
running in about a hour.  :'(

Just trying to save you some video heartache in the future if you pick up
another video card i strongly recommend nvidia.  Now hdmi out, i don't
really play with, so maybe its moot point if you can't get video and audio
out on nvidia i'd be willing to bet you'll have the same issue.

Maybe this weekend i'll unpack my rig.  It has HDMI out and i can give it a
run to see if i have any real insight to provide there.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VXYWV6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alternatively, if you're building a HTPC, why not explore a RasPI system?
 Proven to work and easy to setup.  Cost is also right in that oh so sweet
spot of less than $50.

--Jay