[olug] Cutting the cord

Joseph Gulizia joseph.gulizia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 02:50:39 UTC 2013

Recently got a Chromecast device ($42 with shipping) plays YouTube and
anything (web pages, facebook,  and gmail using Chrome Browser).  Embedded
video works from cbs.com...not from abc.com or nbc.com -- different players
it appears.  Chromecast tested from 3 linux (Ubuntu) desktops, Windows 7,
ubuntu laptop, ubuntu netbook, iPhone 4, android tablet (ICS 4.0)....not
tested on windows vista laptop.  not working from old iMac G4 (doesn't
support chrome) or android 2.1 tablet.  Chromecast needs to be plugged in
to outlet or USB for power...easy three or four steps to set up.  Had to
re-boot twice in roughly three weeks.

Also have Roku 3.0 ($99) with Hulu Plus and Netflix.  $8 each per month --
(plus Amazon Prime $79/yearly plus free 2 day shipping on many items).

NOTE: still have DirecTV but I'm trying to wean family off of it....need a
better HD antenna.

Cox high speed internet roughly $62/month

Between Roku and Chromecast I get the TV and internet content I
want..family hasn't come around to TV/Video on demand

Hope this helps.