[olug] Centos

Lou Duchez lou at paprikash.com
Wed May 22 19:12:05 UTC 2013

On 5/22/2013 12:17 PM, Obi-Wan wrote:
>> Good point about keeping packages updated & upgrades. Definitely worth bringing up.
> Unless you need support for a new device, I rarely found the slow
> package update cycle to be a problem for servers.  For production
> servers, you generally don't want to be upgrading packages willy
> nilly unless you've got a specific reason, like security updates
> or needed functionality.  Once it's stable, let it lie.

About security updates: as soon as you need an update and it's not
available, suddenly the slow package update cycle becomes completely
unacceptable and you question your decision to install that particular
distro.

That said, for the products that I am obligated to update swiftly, I
have learned to compile them from source.  If you've got to have the
security fixes immediately, there's no substitute for compiling. tar
-xzf, ./configure, make, make install.  Get used to it.