[olug] DIY NAS/HTPC

Noel Leistad noel at metc.net
Wed Jan 9 17:33:36 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 08:49 AM, Sheldon, Roger W wrote:
> Don't think I head of the WD red series but the Black series got great reviews. Yeh so sounds like Freenas is the way to go and ZFS is a factor in decision for me. For the placement of the drives it's gonna make some buzz 4sure and I recommended someplace else other than living room. The GD08 case holds eight 3.5 HDD's & two 2.5 SSD's and two 5.25 bays. For cooling it comes with 3x120's I believe and room for one more but u gotta buy the fan. To me sounds like the case to have for NAS/HTPC for $150ish.
>

> Roger Sheldon
>
> Storage Engineer
>
> wk 402.777.7901
>
> cell 402.889.2585

Built FreeNAS box, LianLi PC-Q25 case, Intel i3, 16G RAM, 5 of the
WD-RED 2T drives.

Really pretty quiet, all noise that I can discern is fan noise (totaling
4, 2 case, 1 CPU, 1 PS) . The Red drives are REALLY quiet and run
amazingly cool. Like the case even w/ the price... Almost think it's
quieter than the Atom MythFE I have at home by my TV.

FreeNAS I'm running is 8.3.0, so there are some plugins for dlna, etc.
Not installed so no help there. 10T of disk ended up being 7.1T of zfs
w/ single drive redundancy...

Works so well at work, I'd like to have another at home.....

#  Noel Leistad, CISSP                                #
#  Internet System Administrator                      #
#  Marne & Elk Horn Telephone Co                      #
#  4242 Main Street                                   #
#  Elk Horn IA 51531                                  #
#  noel at metc.net                                      #
#  Please visit our website: http://www.metc.net      #

[FORTRAN] will persist for some time -- probably for at least the next decade.
		-- T. Cheatham