[olug] DIY NAS/HTPC

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Jan 9 18:12:50 UTC 2013

> Don't think I head of the WD red series but the Black series got great reviews.

The red drives are pretty new.  They're supposedly designed
specifically for fileservers.  I chose the blacks instead because of
the longer warranty (5 vs 3 years), and more imporantly because the
reviewers on NewEgg claimed the reds had a disturbingly high percentage
of early failures (not quite DOA, but within the first month).  Maybe
WD has cleared up that early production problem, but I wasn't willing
to find out first hand.

> The GD08 case holds eight 3.5 HDD's & two 2.5 SSD's and two 5.25 bays.

That does sound like a great case.

> For cooling it comes with 3x120's I believe and room for one more but u gotta buy the fan.

The biggest noise from that box will be the fans, not the drives.  Fans
make more noise as they spin faster, so you want the physically largest
fans you can fit so that you can move enough air at lower rpm's.  If
noise is an issue, monitor the case & drive temperatures and don't install
any more fans than you need.  Don't forget to watch the fan size on
whatever power supply you choose, too.  Some are larger than others.

--
Ben "Obi-Wan" Hollingsworth    obiwan at jedi.com    PrairieRimImages.com